Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Future of Entertainment: PROJECT NATAL

This post is in response to what AMiller posted yesterday about the Sony "Move." I am certainly not trying to steal her thunder, but her post reminded me of an amazing video that I'd watched a few months back. This video is Peter Molineaux's E3 presentation of his character Milo for Microsoft's Project NATAL.
For those of you non-geeks out there, E3 is like Mecca for video game nerds. It is a yearly conference where companies pull out all the stops and show the world all the cool stuff coming out in the future.
Well, with that, I urge you to watch this short video as a demonstration of, truly, the future not only of video games but of interactive entertainment, and surely just about everything else in life.
This video is sure to blow your mind. If you were impressed with the Ipad then get ready to shit over:

Project NATAL

Your comments....

1 comment:

wbhodges said...

That is absolutely incredible. I had seen this video once before over Christmas break...my 12 year old cousin received a brand new X-Box 360 and I believe that video was a demo already available on the system if I'm not mistaken. I say all that to say this: the fact that the youngest participants in our society are being exposed to such technology is absolutely incredible, and to have them expecting such advances will ultimately push the envelope even further, though I really don't see how much more territory that's been left unexplored. This is a huge step past the Sega Genesis that we all adored at the same age.

In regards to the video, there are two portions that completely blew me away. The first is when Claire, the participant, is catching fish with Milo. As she walks to the screen you can see her reflection in the water. I even went as far as to pause the video to determine if it was simply her reflection from the surface of the screen itself, but it's too vivid for that to be the case. The second act would obviously be Milo "taking" the paper from Claire, the paper being true to size on the screen in his hand, and him ultimately identifying what was drawn on the paper.

You were right in stating this is the future of not only video games but all realms of interactive entertainment. Great post.