Thursday, October 14, 2010

Finally Something to Cheer about on the News

Tuesday night, CNN topped the cable newschannels in ratings. The reason it did so was because of the rescue of the Chilean miners that were rescued that night at 10:00 pm central time. The channel usually ranks third behind FOX News and MSNBC but it pulled in 5 million viewers between 10 and 10:15 while the other two stations pulled in slightly less, 4.3 million and 1.3 million respectively. On a typical night at this time these channels usually draw a combined total of 2 million people. Audiences stayed up late to watch and CNN was having 1.7 million viewers between midnight and 1 am. The interesting point is that ABC's "Nightline" was airing this and they pulled in 5 million viewers which outranked the late night talk shows. Thus proving that when the news is good and uplifting people will watch and I wish I knew because I would have.

2 comments:

candacej said...

Yeah for once I saw something that wasn't sad and about celebrities, it was great to watch and it just made me feel good and proud. I couldn't stop watching.

S. Hamilton said...

Oh yeah, I read how ratings skyrocketed with the news channels. I find it pretty interesting. I can't even lie my household had it on cnn as well, I even had it on in my room, but then again I wake up to cnn, so that was not to out of the ordinary. I didn't really get to watch it into the late night, but hey that's awesome people wanting to watch something uplifting.