Thursday, April 8, 2010

Nike Airing New Tiger Woods’ Commercial During Masters

We have all heard the story of the fall of Tiger Woods and the countless viewpoints that have accompanied it after it reaching national headlines. Throughout all of the events that have taken place, Nike, one of Woods’ strongest sponsor and supporters, has remained with him. Being a public relations major, I’ve naturally been drawn to this story to see how the situation is handled. This is one of the largest personalities of our time and this is a story that without a doubt will be talked about for as long as we are alive, so its outcome will definitely set the bar for similar events in the future.

With that being said, I came across this article and a commercial that began airing yesterday during the Masters Tournament coverage (this is significant because it is the first tournament Woods has participated in since the scandal broke if you’re not up to date). The commercial is without a doubt a great move on Nike’s part to show their support for their largest investment, but the commercial itself left me with mixed feelings and unsure of what their motives were behind it. The commercial consists of a close-up of Woods, slowly zooming as the commercial progresses. It is also shot in black and white, which gave me a haunting vibe from the opening moments. On top of this simple 30-second spot, a voiceover speaks, saying, “Tiger, I am more prone to being inquisitive, to promote discussion. I want to find out what your thinking was. I want to find out what your feelings are. And did you learn anything?" The first time I saw it, I didn’t understand it. Upon further investigation, I found very surprising information. The voiceover was a combination of audio clips of Tiger’s deceased father, Earl Woods. The situation just got extremely heavy. Nike has become known for memorable advertisements, and this one will definitely make the list as well.

After watching the commercial, I’d like to hear your response to it. What were Nike’s motives? Do you think the commercial will ultimately be effective in whatever their goals were in airing it?

The video:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/08/AR2010040803416.html

1 comment:

Will Priest said...

First, I would just like to say I am stating my opinion and have not really done that much extensive research on this Nike commercial. I think the reason why Nike made this commercial is to show the discipline majority of Americans think Tiger deserves. (I believe Tiger’s personal life is his own, and Tiger does not have to answer any questions about his personal life when it pertains to his business career.) However, majority of Americans do not feel the same way I do. Most people feel that Tiger is only sorry because he got caught cheating. Many people also feel that his apology was not sincere since he read majority of the apology. I think Nike made this commercial almost as a disciplinary measure. As a huge Tiger Woods fan, I have heard many times Tiger express how much his father meant to him before he passed away. Of course this is the closest Tiger will ever hear the disciplinary words of his father again. I think this commercial was made to try and attempt to get people to forgive Tiger for cheating on his wife. We must remember, we do not idolize athletes for the way they live their lives. People idolize athletes for what they are able to do on the playing field.