Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Your Phone is Locked. Just Drive.

I've always wondered when they were going to figure out a cool way to have "away messages" for your phone while driving...just something to inform people that THAT is what you're doing if/when you don't reply or answer. 

Well...apparently they have apps for that basic idea now. Its Phone Safety and they are definitely aiming it towards parents to get these apps for their teenager's phone. Of course, most basic phones do not have the capability for these apps, not even the iPhone...yet. BUT, the future may just hold that all new phones have this capability, or may even be required. What do you think? 

This article begins with this statement:

"The statistics on distracted driving are pretty scary. Just making cellphone calls increases your chances of crashing by four times; sending text messages increases the risk 23 times."

If this is true, that's awfully scary...considering most of the people I know, either call, text, or both while they drive....I mean, honestly, I do more than I should too.

So, this article talks about the few apps available and what they each do and how much they cost. They are all pretty creative and maybe, depending on the future, will be on every phone in the market. Technology will only get better, and the driving laws may just have to get stricter...

Do you think they will make texting illegal while driving? Do you think eventually all cell phones will have this ability to block messaging and calls while driving? Do you think one day we'll even have a choice? I compare it to drunk driving in some ways....I mean, if it gets that bad, I figure they will start looking for ways to prevent it. Who knows? 

Here's the article from the NYTIMES.com

"Your Phone is Locked. Just DRIVE."

3 comments:

candacef said...

eh, I am on the fence about this type of technology. Yes, it is extremely dangerous to text and drive and for some people who lack multi-tasking skills to talk and drive. As a parent, so I know how paranoid we can get, these programs are going to sale. I think that a good advertising tatic would be to approach consumers with something like,"How much is your child's safety worth" or something to that effect. I noticed in the article that some of the apps have some problems unlocking the phone in a timely manner. I think they are going to have to fine tune this apps in order to keep the consumers from month to month. Also how are they going to compete with other apps that are not as restrictive. I have an app on my blackberry that takes what I say and convert it into a text message. I think that things like this is sufficent but like I said there is definately a market with paranoid parents.

S. Hamilton said...

This seems like a great app to have, but like you mentioned, they would definitely have to come up with good tactics to approach consumers. Texting and talking while driving has become a big issue within our society and having something that could restrict or at least prevent that from becoming a continuous problem.

brekp said...

a study has show that hands free devices do not decrease your chances of crashing at all. Its the conversation that distracts you not the cell phone. So pretty much there is no difference talking to someone on the phone versus a passenger sitting right next to you.