Monday, September 6, 2010

Is US Weekly glamorizing Teen Mothers?

Last Friday I was watching "Showbiz Tonight" and the panel made a big discussion about US weekly glamorizing teen pregnancy and teen motherhood by putting one of the teen mothers of MTV's hit reality Teen Mom on the cover of the magazine. Glamorizing? Really? I don't think so... I am a very big fan of the show and the more I watch it the more I know I am not ready for children. I watch these girls struggle with bills, family, and relationship issues all because of the mistake of having a child a young age. The panel suggested that if teenagers saw the magazine cover that they would want to get pregnant just to be famous and on the covers of magazines, but I don't think so. The article of the teen mom in the magazine was about the struggle of teenage motherhood and actually having a chance at love when a past relationship has failed. I believe that the magazine cover and Reality show is very inspirational to teens because it is "Reality".

http://www.mancouch.com/732163267/us-weekly-destroys-america/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Firstly, thanks for your information :)
Secondly, in my opinion, putting babies on the magazine cover is pretty fine with me :) I don't like too much depressing in the reality show or magazine story. I prefer they are sometimes depressing and on the other hand, they are nice and helpful. Although the girls in the story are teen moms; however, after all, they are mothers. Therefore, mothers and their babies appear together just feel...right.
Moreover, what do you expect from a magazine cover? The girls on the cover can't appear with messy look, even though the main topic is "struggle with their life", can they?

QuinAshford said...

I believe that the media is trying to glamorize these teen mothers to the younger crowd while MTV and other networks are trying to drop the teen pregnancy rate. I know a baby is cute and adorable but showing all the hard work and hard times, especially if you do not have a education, makes it 10 times harder to survive on your own with the economy that we have right now. Its a battle that comes back showing the results in statistics and right now the media is winning.