Thursday, September 2, 2010

Print or Pixels?

By the end of this year, 10.3 million people are expected to own e-readers in the United States, buying about 100 million e-books, the market research company Forrester predicts. This is up from 3.7 million e-readers and 30 million e-books sold last year. I notice that whenever I go to Amazon and search for a book, it always tells me to buy a kindle. Other companies like Sony are introducing new lines of e-readers while publishing companies are trying to figure out how to handle the situation of printed books vs. e-books. This article quotes a few different people, all who love to read, but some who prefer e-books over printed books. Some find it harder to get into or appreciate a book when being read on a kindle or an ipad; others find the e-readers to be more convenient. Is technology changing how we read and think about things? I personally feel like I have a better reading experience when I'm holding the book in my hand. Other times, if I have forgotten to bring a book with me, I'm glad that I have my Bookshelf app on my iphone. I like the whole experience of going to the bookstore and finding something I want to read rather than just searching for it on my bookshelf app and as cheesy as it may sound, being able to hold a book and actually turn the page makes it theexperience more intimate
http://nyti.ms/cQK38h

No comments: